Statistics: What the Numbers Tell Us
3,280 PA children were victims of child abuse (approximately 1 in 1,000 children)
26,944 reports of suspected child abuse were investigated in PA during 2013 (approximately 9 per 1,000 children)
→ 9,273 of these reports were sent to law enforcement due to a possible crime against the child
→ 3,425 reports (< than 13%) were later substantiated as child abuse or neglect by children and youth officials.
- 2,281 (approximately 67%) of these reports involved girls
- 1,144 or about 1/3 of these reports involved boys
- 9% of these reports involved a child who had been abused before
- 4% of the substantiated reports involved a child that was abused in a child care setting.
- 3,941 perpetrators were involved in these reports, 11% of these perpetrators had been named as a perpetrator in at least one other substantiated report of child abuse